- Sift dry ingredients together twice into a large bowl.
- Beat the egg with the milk and add the melted butter, beating to combine.
- Using a wooden spoon fold the egg mixture into the dry ingredients to make a smooth batter without overmixing.
- Heat a heavy griddle or frypan which is greased with a little butter on a paper towel.
- The pan is hot enough when a drop of water breaks into several smaller balls which ‘dance’ around the pan.
- Pour a small amount of batter (approx 1/4 cup) into pan and tip to spread out or spread with spoon.
- When bubbles appear on surface and begin to break, turn over and cook the other side.
- Serve with either lemon juice & sugar sprinkled on them or with golden syrup or maple syrup.