OLD-FASHIONED CAKE DOUGHNUTS (DONUTS)
OLD-FASHIONED CAKE DOUGHNUTS (DONUTS) INGREDIENTSNutrition
- In a large bowl mix the sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Add eggs, milk and melted butter. Beat well.
- Add 3 cups of the flour, beating until blended. Add one more cup of flour and beat well. The dough should be soft and sticky but firm enough to handle. If you feel its necessary, add up to 1/2 cup more flour.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for *at* *least* one hour.
- Remove your dough from the fridge and begin heating about 1″ of oil to 360F in a large metal skillet.
- Working half the dough at a time, roll it out on a floured surface to about 1/2″ thickness. Cut out circles using a doughnut cutter or large biscuit or cookie cutter. For the center, I actually use the cap off my martini shaker 😉 to cut the holes.
- Gently drop the doughnuts in batches into the hot oil. Flip them over as they puff and turn them a couple more times as they cook. They will take about 2-3 minutes in total and will be lovely and golden brown all over.
- Remove from the oil and set them on paper towels or brown paper bag (that removes all the fat, you know).
- Douse them with sugar and cinnamon, icing, chocolate dipped with sprinkles or whatever you like.