GRANOLA BARS INGREDIENTSNutrition
- 4cups oats (old-fashioned)
- 1⁄2cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2cup coconut
- 1⁄2cup flax seed meal
- 1⁄2cup oat bran
- 1⁄2cup chopped dates(or a combination of both) or 1⁄2 cup mixed dried fruit (or a combination of both)
- 1⁄2cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, whatever you prefer)
- 1⁄4cup margarine
- 3⁄4cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4cup honey
- 1⁄2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, sunflower kernels, coconut, flax seed meal, oat bran, dates/fruit and nuts.
- In a small sauce pan, melt margarine over medium-low heat.
- Add corn syrup, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and honey; stir to combine.
- Increase heat to medium and stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile spray a 13×9 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Measure out a sheet of foil large enough to cover pan.
- Spray foil with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Cook corn syrup mixture until it comes to a full boil; let boil for one minute.
- Remove from heat and pour over oat mixture.
- Stir to combine (mixture will be very stiff).
- Transfer mixture into prepared pan.
- Cover with prepared foil and PRESS FIRMLY.
- You want the mixture to be as compact as possible.
- I’ve even used a small cutting board to help press the mixture firmly& evenly (don’t be afraid to stand on it!).
- When mixture is as firm and even as you would like, remove foil& let mixture cool.
- Cut into bars.
- Note: Don’t be afraid to add, remove and/or substitute ingredients, such as chocolate chips, wheat germ, raisins, anything goes.
- I’d love to get some other suggestions!